Translate

Sunday 4 June 2017

Voice.

Side note.

The story which I am writing will have two major characters and, in turn, two first person narratives. When reading as one character or the other, it needs to be clear and obvious which perspective you are reading from - their voice needs to be different. The way they perceive the world needs to be different, the details they pick up on, the thoughts they have, the language they use.

I think planning out the register, all the differences and detail picking for these two characters (or in future projects, maybe more) would be madness and stalling. In part, writing voice is intuition - if I establish a firm understanding in the differences between these characters in my mind, when I am writing as them, I will be able to craft their voice on the fly. This may be a flawed assumption and I may have to address this later if it does not work, but at the moment, I think it would be something which is impossible to plan.

That's all.