Translate

Tuesday 30 May 2017

A Novel Project [Part 1] Ideas, intent and direction.

Life mission: Write a novel. Publish it. Gain readers. Repeat.

It is a simple dream that I have drooled over for over 7 years. I have learned a lot in those years, primarily that a novel does not write itself. This is a project which will require hard work and commitment. Yes, I have written poems and short stories; however, my ambition lies in longer forms of fiction at approximately 80,000 words - for some reason this arbitary amount of words seems enough. That line in the sand will satisfy my luster for writing, for a spell.

Now is the time to start writing my novel and documenting my progress, reflections, ideas and revisions. I foresee a lot of spoilers for the story feeding into the planning and reflection parts of this writing blog and I will try to keep some details top secret, while spoiler-tagging out others...


So, for those of you reading the spoilers through this documentary, hello! I appreciate the sacrifice you'll be making in order for me to share more detailed thoughts and plot hooks as these blogs progress. Also, this first spoiler tag is the last spoiler tag without any actual spoilers for the novel I will be writing - so if you are reading this and seriously do not want any spoilers for the future, then never click on this again.

The reason I have decided to document this writing process has two parts. Firstly, so I will be motivated to keep writing and return to making progress on the novel. Secondly, so that I may reflect on my writing to enhance it. Thirdly, so when I am frustrated or in a corner or my mind is sapped of creativity, I have somewhere else to brainstorm ideas and write to reflect and think out the trappings of my writing. Fourthly, in the vague hope that it is benefitical for myself or others intending to write their own novels - perhaps it will be inspiring, I predict it will be anything but. I guess that was two more than two parts.

Without further delay, let's jump in to this week's part of A Novel Project.

The novel I will be writing will uncomfortably squat over the Fantasy genre. There will be horses, knights, swords and bows, Kings and Queens; but no orcs, dragons or elves. So, medieval, alternate history, alternate Earth story. No magic, but not normal as we know it, just Earth-ish. The geography, kingdoms, cultures and religions will all be new and different, a whole new world; an imaginary world.


The fantasy setting is one that I learned when I watched the Lord of the Rings as a kid and I fell for it. This setting is one where I feel comfortable writing and have thought a great deal about. My inspiration has grown through different books, RPGs, D&D and other fantasy films, excluding the Hobbit - which was not awe-inspiring. This, coupled with the intrigue and politics of A Song of Ice and Fire, where the fantasy felt grounded and realistic and gritty - LOTR meets the Dark Knight of brooding and GRR(m). So gripping and tense. I intend to write a one-shot novel, not an anthology of novels building upon one larger universe - this isn't the MCU or discworld, here. And this first book, this first world will be magicless. Now, I love me some magic and I love magic in stories, but my story isn't about magic and it would only distract if I were to include it. Also, I'm not writing fan fiction for LOTRs or Game of Thrones, I want to carve out my own space and create my own lore, ideas and take on the fantasy genre; I only want this novel to be made up of what it needs and what makes it better, more interesting and more immersive for readers. Magic wouldn't grant that for the story I want to tell, so it is out.

The idea that particularly struck a chord with me from watching Game of Thrones, and other shows like The Walking Dead, House of Cards and the News; I found that Good and Evil is not all it cracked up to be. Studying history, considering politics, ethics and philosophies; actions and events are rarely so black and white - everyone thinks they are the good guy, everyone thinks their actions are justified.


I want to write a story which explores characters who are all trying to do what is right and fight for good, yet they end up crossing one another and creating conflict, even though their pursuit is the same.

This is a theme, Good Vs Good, that I want to explore through the central characters of my story.


Early ideas

I have been developing ideas for a larger story for many years now and this first story I intend to write has had events and characters plucked out of that universe and refined into a linear story. In the past, I have planned out multi-book spanning adventures and the rise and fall of Empires, but if I never start writing, I'll be a penniless planner until the day I die - I want to be a writer. So, I have chosen a writeable idea, with depth and some thought-provoking elements, which I believe are worth the time to be read and pondered on.

William the Conquerer, trademark 1066; has been hugely influencial, not just for my love of history, but for being a central building block which so many of my ideas have spawned from. Good ol' Willie was a Bastard that became a Conquerer, a King - the ultimate underdog who came in and changed things, who was a bit of a dick at times and out-right mean the rest of the time. There are heroes on both sides of the conquest, charm and characters and heroic moments and feats of strength and stupidity; the more you research it, the greater muse it becomes. There is a character that will perhaps appear, probably only be mentioned, who is directly based on William the Conquerer - though his actions will be very different and he will not be the focus of this story - maybe next, as he is so wonderfully complex and interesting. 



Structure

Another way my story will be set apart from the other fantasy books which have come before it will be the structure. Currently, though this is subject to change like all of the ideas and bits and bobs I record here, my story will be structured into 2 parts, each part told from a different character's POV, like A Thousand Splendid Suns. 

Basic outline of the plot and, I mean, this is all spoilers; so, skip this entire section if you don't want to know any spoilers. However, I will give an outline of the story here, with key details in spoiler tags. Also, any points in this story are subject to change, edits and restructuring - but you've been warned.

My next post will go into characters, names, traits, etc. So, please forgive the 'Hero', 'King', 'Generic description of a person' remarks below.

Side note: For planning purposes and because of familiarity from screenwriting, I use the 3 Act structure to plot out ideas, however, I tend to steer away from it when writing and editing, but a healthy frame for your ideas if benefitical, in my experience, to track a logical order of progression.

Part 1

Act 1

- Hero will be resolving conflict in a region, to show the reader the responsibilities and reputation that these Knights have across the Kingdom.
- While attempting to resolve a conflict, the Hero meets an array of characters, some useful, some not; some nice, some not. The point of this is to set up characters for later in the story and to give insight into how our Hero's mind works in contrast to others.
- The Hero resolves the conflict with the aid of Person A, who is important; but almost right away, the Hero learns that the King has fallen sick and may only have days left to live - Hero returns to the capital.
- We meet the rest of the Knights, briefly. Hero goes to King's bedside and learns super tip top secret oh my gosh, what is he going to do!


The King confides in Hero a death-bed secret, a religious custom established earlier in the story, so the Hero cannot tell anyone, but it releases this weight from the King's mind before he faces the afterlife. The secret is that Person A, from before, is sectretly the King's bastard son and rightful heir to the throne.

- The King dies without an heir. When the King does not have an heir, the council of powerful Dukes and Counts decide who is the next King, but the leader of the Knights gets the final say. The Hero disagrees with the council's decision, but the leader of the Knights cannot be convinced to go against the wishes of the council.

Act 2

- The new King is eh, at best. Hero does not like him one bit and really wants someone else to be on the throne, but cannot justify releasing his dead King's sacred secret shared on his death bed. Hero likes keeping his oath.
- In an attempt for long term influence, Hero works on positioning someone, who he thinks would make a better King and a greater leader, into power and renown; while discrediting the council and the current King. He begins to work in secret, as to not arouse suspicion from his peers, the greatest knights, detectives, soldiers and heroes in the land - there are some close calls.
- Eventually, it all comes too much as the new King is bad for the Kingdom to prosper - radical action must be taken, why else would the King have confided in Hero, other than to see that this would be pursued to the very end.
- Knowing that breaking his oath and starting a civil war would lead to thousands and thousands of deaths, Hero concludes with dark intent. With careful planning and planting of some vague, yet incriminating clues on the council; hero arranges for the assassination of the new King.
-The new King is assassinated and the Hero kills the assassin.

Mid-point; Point of View shift to INVESTIGATOR, another Knight, also present for the assassination of the new King.

Part 2

-The new King is assassinated and Hero kills the assassin. Investigator reacts to the situation and then is put on the case by the Knight's leader.
- Leader of the Knights assumes the regency. Investigator picks up some of Hero's clues, but puts the pieces together much quicker than Hero predicted, showing that Investigator may have been underestimated.
- After learning that one of the council may be behind the assassination, causing internal confusion and suspicion in the council; the leader of the Knights cannot accept any of their choices for the next King.
- The regency begins to drag on too long and the leader must reach a decision. Investigator is at a dead end. The leader, after discussing this with all the knights, decides on Hero's candidate to become the next King, as they are not a part of the council, have been influencial in the nation and have shown good leadership qualities.
- The new King is coronated, immediately taking efforts to make the country great; but Investigator begins to suspect Hero, reflecting on the assassination event and breaking down the outcome of the events.

Act 3

- Investigator puts most of the pieces together, but is missing vital details to be certain. 
- There is a questionning between the Investigator and Hero.


After Investigator concludes that Hero is responsible, the Knights venture out into the wild and then deliver their verdict upon Hero, who does not fight or resist. They sentence him to die for killing the King. Before Hero is to be executed, he is granted the opportunity to unburdon himself of any secrets or revelations before he enters the next life. Hero reveals the rightful heir of the former King is the now new King. Hero is killed. Investigator ponders.

The End.


As I have started my writing process for this, I have questioned a lot what readers will get out of my novel, how I can make my writing engaging and thought provoking and immersive. I hold high expectations for myself and am worried that I will pour so much time into this project and then it will be crap; but, I need to move on and accept that: the first novel I write, probably will be crap, just like the first poem I wrote was utter toss-tissue.

I am perhaps, front loading fear and self doubt, but by acknowledging that and keeping an eye on them, I hope to not let it hinder me from writing.

Writing is a scary thing to do and to write something which may be hated, or worse unread and ignored; is terrifying. I'd better crack on!