Translate

Saturday 17 June 2017

A Novel Project [Part 4] Theme

An immediate thanks to all who read my draft opening and sent me feedback, it was both encouraging and insightful to hear your responses.


This week I worked a bunch, which got in the way. I wrote a poem, which was a nice cognitive break and I read an old poem publicly, with a few last minute alterations - which was nerve-quaking and uplifting.

It is after all this, that I return to the Novel Project with fresh thoughts and a new invigorated perspective. A break from your writing and a refreshed pair of eyes are priceless, I find. 

I have made two new decisions. Firstly, Roderick will no longer be the main character and will instead be the antagonist, his position will be replaced by a new knight to the order; Leomund, an idealistic new partner to Jason. Secondly, the theme is as important as the plot and without it, there is nothing to explore and all the tension, decisions and everything will be for nothing if an idea isn't explored and the main characters do not grow because of it.


The theme will be a spectrum of idealism vs pragmatism. Sir Jason, after his long years of service, has seen the worst of humanity, the Kingdom, rulers and the gods themselves - he is increasingly pragmatic, the world is broken down into material objective facts and numbers. His new partner, freshly sworn into the Lion Knights, is Leomund - an idealistic disciplined Knight, who has grown up on the stories of the heroic legend of the Lion Knights, their duty and romantic vision of the Kingdom, its people and those who govern it. Finally, Roderick, a man who put down his own father's rebellion serves through a worldview of ultimate pragmatism in the service for the greater good; when immaterial is stripped away, it becomes easy to justify any measure, any length, for the greater good. 

 
The exploration of the theme will be the central character's story arc, beginning in a state of pragmatism, moving towards this great extreme and contrasted by Leomund's ideology, it is not until Jason is faced with the radical Roderick that he finds value in belief, hope, immaterial and romanticism.

 
Writing targets:
  • Plotting the story
  • Second Draft: Chapters 1-3
  • Backstories for three central characters
Side note; I have written a bunch of poems and I am considering putting together an anthology poetry by me. Perhaps, not sure, maybe, big maybe, probably won't - maybe will. And people say I'm indecisive.

Looking forward: I suppose I need a firm decision (ha) on my end goal here. Is it to submit this novel to publishers, to self-publish or just a proof of concept? Vanity publishing is a big no-no. For the time being, I will keep my options open and focus on writing a great story.

Idealistic Song of the Blog